The hype about JUUL & Co.
Liquids containing nicotine salts have emerged in the UK and the US primarily in the wake of the POD systems. You can read about what exactly it is here. Products like the JUUL or the Suorin Drop have caused a real hype there, as the liquid in the small, exchangeable cartridges seems to be particularly quick and effective. But that's no wonder - because it contains up to three times as much nicotine as conventional liquids, but at 50 mg per ml it only causes a throat hit than a normal 6 mg liquid. A poorer absorption by the organism and a delayed feeling of satisfaction can of course be counteracted with correspondingly more nicotine. This is exactly why nicotine salts are assumed to be particularly addictive. In Ireland, the TPD2 has already put a stop to this trend, because in the EU only liquids with a maximum of 20 mg nicotine per ml are allowed to be sold. Liquids in such high concentrations are therefore not even available in this country.
An overview of the advantages and disadvantages of nicotine salts
Nicotine salts have a lot of their own due to their tolerance and their minor influence on the taste, but they also have a few catches. We have summarized the advantages and disadvantages of the new liquids for you here:
- Gentler effect: Even with a high nicotine content, no strong throat hit is noticeable, there is no scratching in the throat or the urge to cough
- Better taste: Nicotine salts hardly influence the taste of the aroma, so even with a lot of nicotine, liquid enjoyment is possible without clouding.
- Longer storage time: Nicotine salts do not evaporate as quickly and oxidize more slowly than free nicotine. The liquids have a longer shelf life.
- Yield: Since liquids with a high nicotine content can be inhaled well, they satisfy nicotine addiction better. Less vapors are used and less liquid is used.
- A lot of nicotine with high performance: Due to the better tolerance, higher nicotine concentrations can also be used in more powerful devices. Jaw steamers also need fewer puffs before a feeling of satisfaction arises.
- Danger of overdose: Due to the lack of a strong throat hit and the delayed effect, it can happen that too much nicotine is absorbed. The result is nausea, headache and dizziness. The best way to do this is to have a glass of water and fresh air.
- Not suitable for sub-ohms: With large amounts of steam, the risk of overdosing is particularly high. Liquids with a high nicotine content should therefore not be used in sub-ohm devices.
- Minor throat hit: Yes, that can also be a disadvantage, because for many vapers the throat hit is an important part of enjoyment.
- Nicotine addiction: Many people who switch over reduce their nicotine content over time, as the throat hit quickly becomes too strong for them. So they slowly wean themselves from nicotine and vape mainly for pleasure. With nicotine salts this need does not arise and the vapers remain nicotine dependent.
- Less choice: Liquids with nicotine salts are not yet particularly widespread in this country and are offered in a few popular flavors. Commercially available liquids, on the other hand, are available in a thousand and more different flavors.
For heavy smokers who want to switch to the e-cigarette and vapers who want to enjoy a particularly clear liquid taste even with a lot of nicotine and can do without the throat hit, nicotine salts are certainly an attractive option. Ultimately, vaping isn't just about being able to consume as much nicotine as possible. The decisive factor is the enjoyable inhalation and the possibility of continuing to practice the rituals to which you have become accustomed as a smoker: the cigarette with your coffee in the morning, the cigarette break with colleagues, the cigarette with your drink after work. Then there is the large selection of different devices and liquids. The most important thing is that you enjoy vaping - whether with a lot, little or no nicotine.